Unicode to Manglish conversion
I am using Perl/Tk used for GUI does not have the capability to display Unicode properly. Also, many windows versions does not have capability to copy Unicoded text from IE to other applications. When you have set the font to Unicode, the Malayalam text area will show garbled text. That font option is essentially intended for converting Unicode to Manglish ONLY. Here are the steps to edit already existing Unicode Malayalam text:
- If you have unicode displayed in IE, change View->Character Encoding->Western(ISO-8859). Most of the Windows versions does not have the capability to copy Unicoded text from IE to other applications. By doing this we essentially make IE believe that this text is not Unicode. Then it will show all characters in UTF8 representation as it is. This uninterpreted-UTF8 sequence will be converted back to manglish by following steps.
- Then you will see garbled text in IE window.
- Unlock the Malayalam window in Varamozhi for editing by Lock->Unlock
- Copy paste that text to Malayalam window of Varamozhi.
- Add couple of spaces or newlines in the Malayalam window.
- Corresponding manglish will appear in the Manglish window.
- Now switch the font to some old ASCII fonts like 'Kerala'.
- Complete your editing.
- Then export to Unicode.